Saturday, July 18, 2015

You're Gonna Hear Her ROAR!

It is absolutely amazing what a 41 day old baby can handle.  She's a fighter.  She's our hero.  These photos are from about 2:00 pm yesterday, so 3 hours post op.  



Option 4 happened yesterday.  We met with the general surgeon, the anesthesiologist, and the ENT doctor between 8:00 am and 8:45am yesterday to discuss all that would happen and sign all the papers.  I carried Lydia to the operating area around 9:00am with daddy at our side and the transport team on our heels.  She was sound asleep and was hopefully dreaming about all good things for the next couple of hours. 

After the anesthesiologist put Lydia to sleep and made her dream a little more, the Bronchoscopy happened first.  The ENT doctor met with us around 10:00 am to explain she had completed the supraglottoplasty to help the laryngomalacia and that her trachea and bronchial tubes look good.  It was confirmed that Lydia has a bifid uvula and a slight submucous cleft that will have to be repaired later so that she doesn't develop hypernasality, basically a nasal sounding voice.  By 11:00 am the surgeon met with us to discuss the fundoplication to stop the reflux and the gastrostomy to deliver feeds.  Both went very well and Lydia was out of recovery and back in her room by 11:15 am.  

She had the hiccups for about 20 minutes, which could not have felt good, but she was still sedated and sleeping.  She began moving her tongue and playing with her breathing tube around 12:00 pm and was opening her eyes by 1:30 pm.  The breathing tube was out around 3:00 pm and nurses started using the MIC-KEY button to deliver meds.  She started her feeds in very small amounts around 7:00 pm and should be gaining weight in no time.

The PICU doctors and ENT will evaluate her for a few days and if she's breathing well she should be moved to the 4th floor "soon."  I know, we've said that before!  Home by August?  That's our hope.  

You held me down, but I got up
Already brushing off the dust
You hear my voice, your hear that sound
Like thunder, gonna shake your ground
You held me down, but I got up
Get ready cause I’ve had enough
I see it all, I see it now

I got the eye of the tiger, the fire, dancing through the fire
Cause I am a champion and you’re gonna hear me ROAR

Louder, louder than a lion
Cause I am a champion and you’re gonna hear me ROAR
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
You’re gonna hear me roar

Now I’m floating like a butterfly
Stinging like a bee I earned my stripes
I went from zero, to my own hero 


~Katy Perry

5 comments:

  1. Way to go Lydia...show those drs and nurses whos boss 😍 you have many people praying for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on fightin' Lydia. I think of her everytime I hear Fight Song by Rachel Platten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you sweet Lydia and your Mommy and daddy 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little Lydia is so tough!! Love her!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that all went well. Well done Lydia, hope you can head up to the 4th floor soon and take a step closer to bring home x

    ReplyDelete

Inside Out: Lydia's Version

Anxiety - yep, about most things. Envy - uh huh, and wondering why she's different. (scars, treatments, growth hormone shots, CPAP, IE...