Thursday, August 12, 2021

That's what friends are for.

 Keep smiling, keep shining

Knowing you can always count on me, for sure

That's what friends are for

For good times and bad times

I'll be on your side forever more

That's what friends are for

I'll spare you all the college moments captured in grainy images we shared in the early 2000s.  I'll only share our best days.  Becky has been by my side since freshman orientation at Washburn University.  We experienced love, life and loss alongside one another.  Though we are only a couple hours a part, we don't see each other often but we are friends that stay strong no matter the time or distance.  We could pick right back up where we left off tomorrow, next year or in five year.  We keep each other smiling, that's for sure.



Becky stood by me when I married Dan.


I stood by Becky when she married Tyler.

Becky and I have always shared a love of reading and pledged to visit Boonsboro, MD for our 40th birthday celebration.  I've not forgotten, Becky, we need to get those reservations firmed up!  Becky is a Team Leader for Usborne Books and More and she recently hosted a Party with a Purpose to benefit the children at Children's Mercy Hospital in honor of Henry, Lydia and Cade.  Becky was able to donate 154 brand new Usborne books for the kids to enjoy while staying in the hospital.  She chose to honor and remember three very special children with this fundraiser and she chooses to support three friends each and every day.


All the books Becky and willow donated today.

The images I don't have on my camera roll from way back are of Paige and Stacie, both also our friends from college.  Friends that are connected again in adult life because of our children.  We three have walked the halls of Children's Mercy Hospital because our babies were patients there.  If you are reading this, you most likely know about Lydia's medical diagnosis and ongoing battles she is fighting.  Henry, Paige's son, was heart warrior taken from this earth at the age of 4 to become a heart angel.  If you see me waving up to the clouds while swinging, I'm saying hi to Henry. Cade, Stacie's son, is cancer smasher and is three years post treatment. These ladies are my other type of friend.  The one who has gone through hell with their kid. The one that I only get to see every couple of years if I'm lucky but that embraces me with a quivering hug so strong that neither of us knows when to let go because there is an inexplicable energy.


Becky and Willow at CMH circle drive.

Children's Mercy Hospital is a miraculous place and a devastating place. It's filled with hope and sorrow. You can smile and play while you are there or you can worry and cry. There is no one braver than the children who walk, stroll, and ride the halls of a children's hospital. There is no one more courageous than the little ones who come to know that place, those doctors and nurses, and take it all in stride as if it were a normal part of childhood. There is no one more amazing than our Henry, Cade and Lydia. Thank you for loving us, Becky.

Shop with Becky here: https://a10723.myubam.com/2153462




No comments:

Post a Comment

Inside Out: Lydia's Version

Anxiety - yep, about most things. Envy - uh huh, and wondering why she's different. (scars, treatments, growth hormone shots, CPAP, IE...